Tuesday 23 May 2017

#BookReview ; I Am Big. So What? by Shuchi Singh Kalra



Is it only in India where people don’t realize that starting a conversation with, “Oh, you’ve put on weight!” is incredibly rude? Perhaps I should respond with “Oh, you’ve become uglier!” so they get the point.
From stores that do not stock clothes my size to unsolicited advice from neighbourhood aunties, my life—quite annoyingly—is ruled by the numbers on the scale.
What’s the big deal about being big? You may wonder. Well, quite a lot, actually. For starters, you get dumped by the only man you’ve ever loved, social situations go from awkward to embarrassing within seconds, and don’t even get me started on the family’s never-ending search for a suitable groom. They just don’t make men my size these days!
Nevertheless, here I am, about to meet Suitor No. 7. Begrudgingly, of course. Ride along as I navigate the crazy arranged marriage market. And trust me, it’s crazier when you’re more than a little curvy.

I Am Big. So What? is the second book written by Shuchi Singh Kalra & has been published by Fingerprint Publishers. She is a writer, editor & blogger based in India. She writes for publications & businesses & also runs a writing firm called the Pixie Dust Writing Studio. Catch her on www.shuchikalra.com & @shuchikalra on Twitter.

Our main lead of the story is Roli Kapoor, a graphic designer, daughter of a veteran & a plus sized girl. The book starts with her friend Monika encouraging her to stab a potato in order to kill her urge to eat carbs. Roli is also recovering from a breakup where she didn’t had a chance to attain closure. Her mom with the help of her neighbour has already started a search operation to find Roli her life partner but as she meets Kabir her life takes several turns. She remembers him as her crush from High School who also bullied her which broke her confidence & decides to never meet him again. As she moves to Chandigarh in search of a new life, she gets to see different phases of life. Read this book to know her story..


 As I started to read the book it instantly grabbed on the Bollywood theme hence I kinda had an idea what to expect from it but what made me curious about it was the fact that it dealt with body positivity. The book has been with respect to the Indian society & how it judges plus sized people. The story is quite simple, so is the language. Both the title & cover goes with the story too. I would recommend it to everyone who is looking for a simple & racy read.


No comments:

Post a Comment